Friday, February 6, 2009

Not a Word ...

It is hard to sit at home knowing that loved ones are thousands of miles away standing "in harms way" (I'm not even sure what that phrase means, but I know it always applies to those in military service). This is the life of the parents of soldiers. And it is just a little harder when it has been nearly two weeks since last we received word. If you are still faithfully checking this blog, then you know that my entries have declined significantly. Please know that this is owing not to the lack of desire to keep you informed. Instead, it is the direct result of having heard "not a word" (title).

I've grown so desperate for information that I even logged onto "Facebook" to get some info and I don't even know how to use "Facebook". I just know that "Momma" sometimes hears from Kyle there. Alas ... no Kyle there either. It was 4:30am when I hit FB - hoping that, since it would be 3:30pm in Iraq, he might be up and logged on. Nope.

So here is what has come to mind in this dearth of contact:

1) I wonder how parents of soldiers in past conflicts dealt with the separation? In Viet Nam, Korea, WW1 & WW2, Civil War, Revolutionary War, parents were dependant on a mail system that could be at times entirely unreliable. We are so spoiled with satellite phones and Internet connections. Shoot, if Kyle still had his computer we could actually conference via web cam and actually see his face. How cool is that? We have grown accustom to calls at least weekly.

2) I wonder how our heavenly Father feels when we fail to check in, close the "chat window" and generally ignore his daily, hourly messages of love written in the creation? That reminds me, I've got a "call" (read that as "prayer") I need to make ... I need to check in ... I know HE misses me.

More to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment